What is Low T?
Women aren’t the only ones that experience a midlife hormonal decline!
Most people are aware that women experience a midlife hormonal decline called menopause but few people realize that men experience a very similar decline called andropause. Male testosterone levels begin dropping in their 20s and continue to drop until the end of their lives. Many men experience dramatic changes to their overall well being when they experience low testosterone levels. The symptoms of low testosterone levels are serious matters and can include lack of sex drive, depression, increase of abdominal fat, loss of lean mass and erectile dysfunction just to name a few.
The good news is that andropause can effectively be treated through proper testosterone therapy by our Miami based Anti-Aging doctors.
Androgen Deficiency Identification
The Androgen Deficiency in Aging Male (ADAM) Questionnaire
The Androgen Deficiency in Aging Males (ADAM) questionnaire was originally published by JE Morley in 2000 at the University of St Louis. The questionnaire was designed to screen for the symptoms of low testosterone or testosterone deficiency in males. The questionnaire is listed below and could indicate if you suffer from low levels of testosterone.
- 1: Do you have a decrease in libido (sex drive)?
- 2: Do you lack energy?
- 3: Do you have a decrease in strength and/or endurance?
- 4: Have you lost height?
- 5: Have you noticed a decreased “enjoyment of life”?
- 6: Are you sad and/or grumpy?
- 7: Are your erections less strong?
- 8: Have you noted a recent deterioration in your ability to play sports?
- 9: Are you falling asleep after dinner?
- 10: Has there been a recent deterioration in your work performance?
- The ADAM questionnaire yields a positive result if you answer, “Yes,” to questions 1 or 7 or any three other questions. A positive result means that you may have low testosterone and you should contact us to discuss your options.
Additional Symptoms of Low T
While the ADAM questionnaire is a good starting point to identify if you have an androgen deficiency it is not 100% accurate. Some men might pass the questionnaire but still suffer from low testosterone or Low-T. Additional symptoms of low testosterone levels are listed below.
- Difficulty Achieving an Erection
- Low Semen Volume
- Loss of Muscle Mass
- Increase in Body Fat
- Decrease in Bone Mass
- Mood Changes
- Sleep Disturbances
- If you have you had a positive result on the St Louis ADAM questionnaire or have several of the symptoms listed above it’s quite likely that you are androgen deficient. Your next step is to have your blood tested to identify hormonal issues. Rewind Anti-Aging of Miami can assist you in this process.
Misdiagnosed in Miami?
Many men suffering from low testosterone may not even realize they have a hormone imbalance. Often low testosterone is misdiagnosed as depression or some other age related issue. When this occurs the physician is trying to treat the symptom instead of the cause. This can also cause further problems in the future as the low testosterone levels have been left untreated.
Some men feel they should just live with many of the Low T symptoms because they think they are just a fact of life. What they fail to understand, however is that research has shown that men with low or declining testosterone levels have an increased risk of disease including osteoporosis and diabetes. Low levels of testosterone later in life have also been associated with increased mortality risk.
Most importantly, men with higher levels of testosterone in the middle to later years of life have been shown in studies to enjoy longer, healthier lifespans.
Testosterone Therapy Treatment
At Rewind Anti-Aging of Miami we offer several testosterone Options. We try to find the best option for our patients based on their lifestyles and preferences.
- Testosterone Injections: Testosterone Injections are usually administered weekly. At Rewind Anti-Aging of Miami we offer testosterone cypionate, enanthate and propionate. After six to eight weeks of injections our patients our encouraged to undergo another minor blood panel to assess treatment effectiveness and adjust accordingly if needed.
- Testosterone Gels and Creams: At Rewind Anti-Aging of Miami we offer both testosterone gels and creams. These gels and creams are applied daily to the shoulders, upper arms or abdomen.
- Stop Wasting Time! If you’re experiencing the symptoms of low testosterone stop and pick up the phone and call us today. With proper Testosterone Therapy treatment you can begin to eliminate the signs of low T and start living your life to it’s fullest. Call 305-922-9622.